It’s been a while since I have sat down to write here. The winter months are always the slowest. Spring is coming now and we are starting to see the snowbanks retreat. I am convinced that it will take until June, but they are moving in the right direction now. It is time to begin writing again.
Last years garden did not do so well. Some of the problem comes from the timing being off. We had a bit of wildlife mischief, and we have lots of beds that are still establishing. We also tried some new things, searching for ways to maximize our lack of horizontal space.
upside down tomatoes seemed to work well. We took quite a few nice tomatoes from these. The amount of work needed to maintain them was prohibitive though. If we try this again there will be some method of irrigation involved. I think ti would not be too hard to tie in the gutters and capitalize on the rain water.
We also tried to use the overhang on the back deck to try out some vine plants. Squash, and cucumbers specifically. This experiment flopped, but it is one that we will be revisiting this year. there is too much space there to allow it to be idle.
This is the first attempt to fill the open unused area around our deck. the plants did not grow as we had hoped. they grew well but when the weight came in the stocks kinked at the base. The solution I think is more support, or plants with heartier stocks. The other thought I had was that the amount of dirt in the pot was not sufficient to support the plants growth.
In addition to experimentation we also added and updated beds. They should be ready to plant this spring. What cant be seen in the photo on the right are the blueberry bushes that did amazingly well for first year plants. We were able to have blueberries the first year. In the background of the photo in the center is yet another experiment. a pea tee-pee for the kids. That one kicked off late and never left the ground.
This weeks project will be to start up some seedlings, and get the ball rolling.
until next time