We’re back into the swing after the break for Memorial Day. First up on the agenda, cleaning the compost hopper from last year.
Quite a change from the previous visit. While it is not 100% beautiful.
It does surpass the results from my experiments with the rotating drum.
This wonderful stuff had to Go somewhere. It ended up being sheet mulch time.
The first step was to disadvantage the locals. Out came the lawnmower on “scalp” setting. The next step was to make sure the local grass does not come through the mulch. For this I used a cardboard box stock.
After the barrier layer is set in comes the homemade compost.
I made this to be about a half of an inch to an inch over the whole area. Then came the wood mulch to cap it all together.
This layer is about an inch to an inch and a half thick. It covers the whole bed.
The whole bed is completed with a golf course close shave all around
I’m pretty impressed for a first time trial of this. I’ll have to see how things grow in it.