Yesterday we started out getting the swale tuned back up. We ran out of light. Today after breakfast and fighting with a clothes dryer that was clearly designed by an idiot, we are back at it once more.
The tractor makes this project go so much faster than it ever would have with a wheelbarrow.
Same game as yesterday eight foot level, sliding down a trench. Today though I adapted it a bit.
I dug out my second level and did both axis at the same time. While it was faster, it was a bit clunky. In the end though we got it done.
The next stop for the process is to fix up the damaging overflow pipe. I had thought of simply turning it but the new terrace is taking shape right where it would land
Until I can get a couple of IBC containers to catch rain flow I have devised this solution.
A small pit is dug in the area where the overflow drains. It is deep enough to form an indentation, and also deep enough to be roughly level with the swale floor itself.
Then the pit is lined with small stones, being careful to cover as much dirt as we can. Remember our goal is to slow things down.
I also partially leveled the output pipe to avoid the water slide effect.
Then cap the whole pit off with a large rock. This creates a habitat, as well as holds the pipe in place.
Here you can see the completed setup from the rain barrel.
”Tis is the result of about five minutes of hose time. Between the leveling and the rocks the flow is slowed down substantially.
The area with the mint will still need to be watched since it is a natural depression and receives drainage from the road.
Here is a brief video with a better look.